- 20 Room to tack at an obstruction
- 20.1 Hailing and Responding
When approaching an obstruction, a boat sailing close-hauled or above may hail for room to tack and avoid another boat on the same tack. After a boat hails,
- (a) she shall give the hailed boat time to respond;
- (b) the hailed boat shall respond either by tacking as soon as possible, or by immediately replying ‘You tack’ and then giving the hailing boat room to tack and avoid her; and
- (c) when the hailed boat responds, the hailing boat shall tack as soon as possible.