This category helps us share our custom widgets for the Monaco skin.
- Just follow one of the links listed below to view the documentation page for another user's widget.
- If you like what you see then you can easily follow the "How to .." steps below to adopt that widget into your Monaco sidebar or you can copy the source code and then prune/innovate to your personal needs.
The widget named A Custom Toolbox is actually the default MediaWiki:Widgetwikipage (a.k.a. Wiki page in widget ) that has been customized by your site admin. See also:
A Custom Toolbox nicely compensates for some gaps in the tools provided by Wikia but also provides for a feature unique to Virtual Skipper Wiki - the Manage Favorites popularity index.
At the present time A Custom Toolbox is the only custom widget that can be made accessible to all visitors via:
- and the "cockpit" (a.k.a. Widget Carousel) which is activated via the Manage widgets menu item (at right)
- This custom widget appears under the title "Wiki page in widget" in the widget carousel. This is probably a bug.
This does not stop you from creating your own custom widget. Also, your widget innovations can easily be incorporated into the site-wide custom widget.
How to create (or adopt) a custom widget Edit
It is useful to review the source code for the site-wide custom widget and let that serve as a guide. View the source code at MediaWiki:Widgetwikipage. You can copy that code to another page such as User:USERNAME/MyWidgetSource and then prune any unwanted features of that default custom toolbox to create your own personalized version or you can design your own widget from scratch.
Assuming you have copied the code as described above then here are the steps to ...
- ... make that custom widget appear in the sidebar
- Add the "Wiki Page in widget" to the sidebar (using either Special:Widgets or the widget carousel)
- Click the spanner sprite (in top right corner) to reveal the configuration window
- beside Title of widget: enter any arbitrary name e.g. Useful Links
- beside Source page: enter the wiki article name e.g. User:USERNAME/MyWidgetSource
(take care to prepend the colon e.g. ":DemoWidget" when specifying a source page that is in the main namespace)
- click Save
- You may drag that widget into your Special:WidgetDashboard or leave it in the Monaco sidebar.
- Now you can adjust the position of your custom widget in the sidebar and you can even drag it into the Special:WidgetDashboard page
- If you should ever delete it then repeat the above steps to reinstate it
- Of course, each user will need to follow steps 1 & 2 to adopt the same custom widget into their personalized Monaco sidebar
- ... showcase your widget in this category
- Now create a sub-page named doc e.g.
- At that page copy the following line of code:
<widget title="User:USERNAME/MyWidgetSource" >WikiPage</widget>[[Category:User widgets|User widgets]]
and then save this sub-page. Of course you may add additional description or instruction as needed.
- note that it is the doc subpage that get's added to this category and not the widget definition page.